On this day in history...

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

John Lennon’s murderer was sentenced.

A special connection I have with the date of Lennon’s murder, as December 8th is my birthday. Lennon was, however, killed ten years before I was born, so I did not have the chance to live on this earth while his physical presence was still here.

I read earlier today that Lennon’s murderer, Mark David Chapman, began reading The Catcher in the Rye while at the crime scene, and read the book at his trial. It makes me cringe to think about how he could have been so calm after ending another human being’s life. He later revealed his motivation for killing Lennon: he wanted to “be somebody.” He’d thought about killing Johnny Carson or Elizabeth Taylor but thought that Lennon was more accessible. What!?!?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

sacredness & storytelling All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger