Relay For Life

Monday, April 19, 2010

This past Saturday I participated in my second Relay for Life, an event that signifies the journey of a cancer patient and raises money for the American Cancer Society. When I was ten years old my mom and dad told me that my mom had Breast Cancer. In the year following her diagnosis, she had a lumpectomy, chemotherapy, and radiation. I am both proud and extremely blessed to be able to say that as of this past Valentine's Day, my mom is a NINE YEAR CANCER SURVIVOR. Hearing so many stories about the cancer battles that so many people have faced, are facing, and will continue to face reminded me of my own family's stories. There are a lot of sad ones and a lot of scary ones, but my favorite story of all is this one:

On the days that my mom had chemotherapy, we always had someone come over and take us to do fun activities so that when my mom got home she would be able to rest for a little while. I know I went with so many people, so many good friends and family, but the one day I remember most clearly was a day that my brothers and I spent with my uncle Dan: June 8, 2001, my mom's birthday. We were sitting outside Stella's, the batting cages near our town, eating ice cream and talking. The sun was so bright and was beginning to set and we started talking about it. "The sun always shines on your mom's birthday," said Uncle Dan.

This is a testament to how strong hope is. My mom and my entire family went through cancer treatments and this is the most powerful memory I have of it. Although I do remember some terribly poignant and sad times, this is the memory that will always stay with me. Love and happiness will defeat hatred and despair every time. You know, my Uncle Dan was right. The sun does always shine on my mom's birthday because the world is so blessed and lucky to have her and it joins in her celebration. The year after this story, June 8, 2002, my mom and all her family and friends were able to celebrate her 50th birthday. We were able to rejoice not only in another year, but in the fact that she made it through one of the most difficult years of her life. We continue to celebrate every year, remembering how providence allowed my mom to keep her life.

I am very blessed to be able to tell this story with this ending, and believe me, I thank God for it every day. There is a poem that one of the speakers at Relay read, a poem that was written by a little boy who had cancer:
About Angels
by Mattie Stepanek


Do you know what angels wear?
They wear
Angel-halos and Angel-wings, and
Angel-dresses and Angel-shirts under them, and
Angel-underwear and Angel-shoes and Angel-socks, and
On their heads
They wear
Angel-hair -
Except if they don't have any hair.
Some children and grownups
Don't have any hair because they
Have to take medicine that makes it fall out.
And sometimes,
The medicine makes them all better.
And sometimes,
The medicine doesn't make them all better,
And they die.
And they don't have any Angel-hair.
So do you know what God does then?
He gives them an
Angel-wig.
And that's what Angels wear.

I just wanted to share with you all part of my story, and I wanted to let you know that I pray for you all every day. God bless all of you who have been affected by cancer in some way, and God continue to bless all of you who have not so that you may never have to experience it. This post is in honor of all those who have survied and in loving memory of all those who have passed away from this terrible disease.

Here are some pictures from this event:








2 comments:

  1. So wonderful to read your post, and what good news to know that your mom is doing well. If you want to learn more about Mattie and how he came to know hope and peace in the midst of a challenging life, please consider reading "Messenger: The Legacy of Mattie J.T. Stepanek and Heartsongs" (the biography I wrote of Mattie's life). Best price is amazon.
    Peace,
    Jeni Stepanek ("Mattie's mom").

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love this. this is such a beautiful memory and it brought tears to my eyes. i love you so much!

    ReplyDelete

sacredness & storytelling All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger