For Megan Boken (23) and Emilie Parker (6) by Hilary Korabik

Sunday, December 16, 2012



Emilie Parker (6)
Megan Boken (23)
Here’s a poem I wrote for Megan Boken, a Saint Louis University graduate who was killed this summer while visiting St. Louis and for Emilie Parker, one of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting.

 Contagious:
“her laugh, her laugh her laugh.”

In my heart I am holding your souls,
and I can feel you holding me back.
We are all blue-eyed blondes
with distinct laughs.

Now you two are angels, and I can feel
the flutter of your laughter echoing
my heartbeat.

Milan Kundera writes:
“The two sisters stretched out on their bed are not laughing
at anything concrete,
their laughter has no object;
it is an expression of being, rejoicing at being.”

You are still being, beating
in our hearts and in our memories;
your laughter is a whisper,
a reminder to ‘rejoice at being,’
for we never know how long we shall ‘be’ here.

In August and December I could feel
my heart hanging on a string,
the only thing holding it together was
your laughter.

Laughter and tears are lovers
who cannot bear to be left alone for too long;
today we are crying and in a few
we will laugh, because just as laughter
brings tears, tears inevitably
remind us to rejoice at our being,
to laugh, laugh, laugh.

5 comments:

  1. I love it! So beautiful Hilary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awe im sure they would aprechiate it n probalbly still do thats a verry cute and loving poem i wish i was as good as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HIlary, this poem is touching and lovely. And both of their stories are so heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, everyone, for reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Hilary. As one of Megan's closest friends I can say she would love this.

    ReplyDelete

sacredness & storytelling All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger