Only boys who wear their wellies have a chance with me!

Saturday, September 3, 2011

The sun was shining in Galway today, a sight I have seldom seen since my arrival five days ago.  The air was crisp, and I am excited for a long autumn, as my favorite season is too often cut short back home in the Midwest.  I have been here for a little less than a week, but I am slowly beginning to worry that I will never want to leave.  The people are friendlier, the city more beautiful, the coffee more delicious, and I have yet to eat a meal that conforms to the stereotype of Irish food being bad.  Everything here is fresh and local, and I find myself eating less because I am more satisfied with what I have eaten.  My sole complaint: I have not met nearly as many Irish people since Mike left for Rome!  Apparently, the Irish students are not yet on campus so I have only been meeting other international students.  I have met wonderful people from France, Germany, Belgium, Italy… but I have yet to meet someone my age from Ireland!  I am looking forward to classes starting simply so I can hear a nice, strong brogue.  I am looking forward to tomorrow, when Amy, Allie, and I will go to mass at the Galway Cathedral and then head into town to watch the hurling finals in a pub.  Hurling is the biggest sport in Ireland, and each county has a team.  I hope it’s not too confusing, but I am excited to learn about a new sport and, as Amy said, have an excuse to drink in the afternoon.  I’m peacin’ out, but here are some pictures for you to enjoy! 
Mike and Amy at Galway Bay
Irish band at Taaffe's
World's Smallest Claddagh Ring!

Corrib River

Amy, Mike, and Me with one of our first pints in Ireland!

Some of our new international friends =]

1 comments:

sacredness & storytelling All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger