Dearest Robert,
I’m sure you’re thinking of my
third-class cabin
leaking loudly, creaking,
squeaking slowly sinking.
But it’s a fine day at Mayneen
and Bridie and Colleen are baking inside.
Tickets to Chicago are always
dear, but with the fear of Titanic
we’ll not have to postpone our
wedding a year or make it less lovely
with no Guinness for beer to make
ends meet.
In the cabin next door one could
hear little children crying, crying endlessly crying, “Momma, what’s
happening—are we dying?” And I lay in bed, ruing the day that the gleaming
seams of that “Ship o’ Dreams” left me without the means to return from
Queens—the port from which she sailed.
The next morn’ Papa brought in
the paper and then my anger tapered, more quickly than a candle with the flame
blown out.
I never heard her name, but her
face came in an instant:
The woman who slept in my cabin.
When I entered the game, I never
thought I’d win and now the grin on my face
is replaced with the knowledge
that we will get married and send
grandchildren to college and that
woman is buried
in the Atlantic.
Robert—they denied my passage
because they hadn’t received the message
that my ticket was part of that
sweepstakes. And I guess that’s all it takes sometimes:
a mistake and a person who can
pay for the ticket.
I’ll be home in a few weeks to
wipe those tears from your cheeks.
Your beloved’s alive and our
marriage will thrive because now we know
that fate wants us together.
Love,
Nora
0 comments:
Post a Comment