musings of a girl with so much time for life.

Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year, friends!

I heard that New Year’s resolutions are so out, but since I never really regard the trends anyway, why would I now? Besides, my resolutions are more abstract than most—they’re general ways to make myself a better person, and I think that self-love and self-improvement is always in style.

Beautiful new stationery from my Uncle Marty
My number one resolution for this year is to slowww downnn. The culture in which I find myself is so fast-paced and I get wrapped up in it. It’s good to be speedy sometimes, but most of the time, I think the slower I go, the more time I have for the important things and the more I enjoy the things I do. An unknown author puts it ever so eloquently: “Once she stopped rushing through life, she was amazed how much more life she had time for.” And it’s true. So my big goal for the year is to slow down, to enjoy myself, my company, my surroundings.

One of the concrete ways I plan on doing this is by… drum roll… reviving the lost art of letter writing. It’s absurd—though not surprising—that this beautiful form of communication has been left behind. For those of you who know me well, you’ll most likely be receiving some snail mail from me over the course of the year—especially now that my Godfather bought me some beautiful monogrammed stationery for Christmas. And, you know, I won’t complain if I get some snail mail back—who doesn’t like getting friendly mail?

Kind regards,
Hilary

P.S. Kind Regards is a book by Liz Williams on the "lost art of letter-writing." You should check it out!

6 comments:

  1. Hilary this was a great post! Happy new year, hoping all stays well with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gianna! It's good to hear from you. Thanks so much for reading--happy new year!

      Delete
  2. Slowing down is definitely a goal that I should try to reach this year, too. Letter writing is a great idea! Happy New Year!

    http://dreamingenfrancais.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so hard to slow down, but so worth it! I'm excited to see where this year takes me. Happy new year!

      Delete
  3. I would definitely write back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH, CLARE. I will definitely be sending letters your way!

      Delete

sacredness & storytelling All rights reserved Design by Blog Milk : Blogger